DEVELOPMENT REVIEW BOARD
MONDAY, AUGUST 20, 2018
Members Present: Brent Rakowski, Vice-Chair, Tim Cook, Jason Farrell, Jason Mullin, Steve Rapoport, alternate – Lowell Bertrand
Members Absent: Don Peabody
Guests: Anna Charlebois, Zhen Ting, Ling Lee, Ian Huizinga
Present: Zoning Administrator Peter Garon
Vice-Chair Brent Rakowski called the regular meeting to order at 7 p.m.
The Board conducted a site visit at 10 Main Street prior to the meeting.
- Public Hearing – Lincoln Geronimo, LLC, 33 Green Street, site plan review and conditional use review to change the use of the Community Center at 55 School Street by expanding the existing restaurant. Jason Farrell recused himself and removed himself from the table for this hearing.
Brent Rakowski read the notice of the hearing and swore in Ian Huizinga. The applicant explained that he needed a larger retail section for his current restaurant and was going to use up to 400 square feet of the Community Center. He said there would be no exterior changes to either location. The new retail section would be accessed from the street through the existing entrance. There would be no additional seating in the restaurant.
Applicant had also requested a parking waiver, but the board did not feel that an additional waiver was needed. The new demand for parking would actually be less than the prior demand.
Steve moved to close the hearing and direct the Zoning Administrator to draft an affirmative decision. The motion was seconded by Lowell and approved unanimously.
- Public Hearing – Pflaster Investments, LLC (Owner) and Zhen Ting and Ling Lee (Applicant) for site plan review and conditional use review to change the use of the southerly portion of the first floor to a restaurant, construct an addition on the back of the building associated with the proposed restaurant, and other related site improvements at 10 Main Street.
Brent read the notice of the hearing and swore in Anna Charlebois, Zhen Ting, and Ling Lee.
The proposal is for a maximum 36 seat restaurant, with some outdoor seating on the southerly side of the building in season. The applicant submitted a detailed plan dated July 18, 2018 which included cut sheets for lights, and information on a fan. The addition would match the current building. Hours would be a maximum of 8 AM to 9 PM.
There was extensive discussion about vehicle and pedestrian traffic with the board focusing on safety concerns. The applicant made several oral changes to the plan to address the Board’s concerns. The sidewalk was moved to the east against the curb. The parking lot in front of the building will be paved and diagonal parking marked. The north curb cut will be entrance only. The center curb cut will be exit only. The southern curb cut will be for service vehicles only.
The dumpster will be shielded with lattice fence.
Jason Farrell moved to close the public hearing and move to deliberative session. Seconded by Steve and unanimously approved.
- Landowner request related to Local Act 250 Review for 99 Panton Road: The original decision on this application made no reference to Local Act 250 Review. The applicant requested that the DRB clarify the status of that review. The Board reviewed prior minutes related to this application as well as individual notes of those meetings. Jason Farrell moved to direct the Zoning Administrator to write a letter to the applicant noting that Local Act 250 Review was warned, considered, and approved. The motion was seconded by Lowell and approved unanimously.
- The July 16, 2018 minutes were reviewed and approved with changes noted. Tim moved for approval, seconded by Jason Mullin, and unanimously approved.
- Report of the Zoning Administrator. Zoning Administrator, Peter Garon, noted that his schedule was in a state of flux. He intends to be in the office two days a week for 4 hours, and be available for another 4 hour weekly. Specific will be determined shortly.
- Other Business: Tim reported on the Planning Commission efforts for a public outreach and participation plan for the municipal development re-write effort. A public planning forum is scheduled for September 13, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. and will be held in the Vergennes Opera House. Extensive work has gone into encouraging public participation for this meeting.
Brent reported that he continues to meet on regional transportation issues for Vergennes as part of the Regional Planning Commission review.
- Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 905.
Peter Garon, Acting Recording Secretary