Category Archives: Recreation Committee

Recreation Committee Meeting Minutes 01-08-2020

AGENDA

City of Vergennes

Recreation Committee Regular Meeting

Vergennes City Hall

January 8, 2020

6:00 p.m.

Present: T. Cook, R. Newton, L. Rapoport, L. Donnelly, M. Deblois, E. Roche

Meeting called to order: 6:04 pm

  1. Amendments to Agenda 5 min
    1. Discussion of pavilion after ice rink update
  2. Approve Minutes to Regular Meeting of 12/11/2019 5 min
  3. L Donnelly moves accept minutes, R Newton seconds, all approve.
  4. Hear Visitors 10 min

No visitors (except Sophie the dog)

  1. Ice rink Update 10 min

Won’t freeze because not cold enough but someone has walked across it and damaged the ice when it refroze. Saturday weather is for rain so it will thaw even if it freezes tomorrow. 7 hours to fill the rink. Steve Sawyer, retired music teacher, volunteered to be tractor/bambini driver but it would be ideal to have hot water. However, the energy efficiency contract the school signed makes it difficult to pull that much water. Jim Larrow had said he could do something with the pipes in the warming hut for cold water. Ken Sullivan would donate labor to install an on demand hot water tank if city purchased it. But unclear where the source of fuel is? Pool house? School? This is an experimental year, we will just have to try things. S. Sawyer can store it in his barn, but right now at the school. DPW can use skid steer with plow to plow the snow (when it’s finally frozen). Can we put together a sign with Skate Rink etiquette? 802 Prints can make signs. Also, we have talked about getting a sign that says “Veterans Park.” R. Newton will work on list of rules. R. Newton makes motion to allocate up to $300 for producing sign, L. Rapoport seconds, all approve after discussion. Hockey nets ordering information provided by R. Newton, left for City Manager to purchase. T. Cook will follow up with Ken Sullivan re: hot water. R. Newton will follow up with Jim Larrow, and cc: Tim and City Manager.

Can pavilion proposal include upgrades to the warming up, such as building out office space, storage for bambini, equipment storage. Ernie Pomerleau is also giving out recreation grants, if we need to apply for additional funds. Job Corps may be looking for renovation projects and may have up to $8000 for materials available, can this be a possibility for renovating the warming hut? R. Newton makes motion to purchase chains for bambini tractor if necessary, M. Deblois seconds, Motion passes.

Pavillion update: L. Donnelly took photos of Veterans Park and the basketball/ice rink. Wrote a draft for us to review. Many city leaders are willing to endorse this proposal. To develop an estimate of the cost of pavilion we will need to find an architect, 2 community members identified who might be willing to volunteer time to design a concept. There are also building design teachers at Hannaford Career Center. The design would be needed in order to get an estimate. An overhanging roof would be ideal for shade and protection. Can we all work on this letter in between meetings?

Discussion and brainstorm of draft proposal. T. Cook requests that we all look into designers who might be willing to volunteer time.

Estimate to replace lights at Veterans Park from DPW for $1100, install 2 new floodlights, add another floodlight. M. Deblois makes motion to spend up to $120 to replace and make more efficient the lights at Veterans Park, R. Newton seconds. How much do we have left in the budget? We think we have about $5000 left for the fiscal year. Motion passes.

  1. Trail Update 10 min

T. Cook got safe routes to parks grant submitted – the grant round will be competitive. The bike trail got a $5000 planning grant for the mountain bike trail. T. Cook walked Veterans Park with City Managers and okayed working with Boy Scouts to do trail to New Haven Rd.

  1. Updates on budget and goals (if any) 10 min

Action: Should we ask other 4 towns to contribute to Recreation budget at $1 per capita in exchange for “in town” pool and recreation membership

Table this until next year when we have something clear to offer.

  1. Recreation coordinator and programming 10 min

Worked with City Manager to get Recreation coordinator position to get posted in Addison Independent. Posting open until 1/27, T. Cook will distribute applications as they come in and the hiring subcommittee will rank the applications. We will warn a meeting to go into executive session at 4 pm on 1/28. Ask City Manager to reserve the city conference room.

 

  1. New business 10 min

VUES will host an outdoor Family Fun night at the ice rink on February 14. Can City have a presence at this event?

Part of our charge is to come up with a 10 year plan, please reflect on this before the next meeting. This will be on agenda for next meeting.

  1. Adjournment

 

Recreation Committee Meeting Minutes 12-11-2019

MINUTES

City of Vergennes

Recreation Committee Regular Meeting

Vergennes City Hall

December 11, 2019

6:00 p.m.

Present: Jackson, Cook, Deblois, Roche, Newton, Rapoport

Meeting called to order: 6:01

  1. Amendments to Agenda 5 min
  2. Approve Minutes to Regular Meeting of 10/9/2019 5 min

L. Jackson makes motion, M. Deblois seconds, all approve.

  1. Hear Visitors 10 min
  2. Recreation coordinator and programming 10 min
    1. Finalize job description, to post in January

T. Cook recommends that the job description be amended to include working on the pedestrian loop. Question raised of whether M. Chabot can post the job description, even though new City Manager has been hired. T. Cook will coordinate with City Manager and we can a hiring subcommittee. T. Cook appoints subcommittee of Newton, Rapoport, Deblois, Roche. Plan to post on Jan 1 and leave open for 2 weeks.

Hiring committee selected a potential date of January 23 to interview candidates.

  1. Ice rink Update 10 min

Expected to be done & ready in next couple weeks but because of holidays might make sense. Need to find team of volunteers to help install, ideally installers would include Public Works, School District facilities personnel and Rec Committee members.

We may need cinder blocks to prop up where it is not level? T. Cook can check the level with a laser. We would need roughly 75 cinder blocks and maybe can use some pavers that the school district already has. Target Friday, January 3rd, if it works for everyone’s schedule. T. Cook will email J. Larrow re: meeting.

Hockey nets range from $209-369 for sturdy nets. We should get the heaviest nets we can afford, and make sure to factor in the shipping costs. Should we look into a skate sharpener for future. They cost $1500-2000 and would require someone who could operate it. R. Newton will bring p.o. to City Manager.

M. Deblois makes motion to approve up to $1500 for purchase of hockey nets, E. Roche seconds, all approve.

    1. Possible Hoehl Family Foundation grant for pavilion

L. Jackson Donnelly reports on conversations on how to apply. 1 page summary of what we’ve done in the past, what our goal is, and steps we are taking, and anything that would have basketball is one of the Hoehl Foundation priorities. We should have photos of existing buildings, and describe volunteer work and the value of the volunteer work. We should show the proximity of playground and high school fields, with new recreation coordinator. The contact is leaving in February, so we should get this underway quickly.

History could include Sam Fishman pool and how that became the hub of recreation for the City. We need to provide a concept of how much we would need. They contributed to refurbishing St. Peters Parish Hall.

The pavilion would ensure basketball in this outdoor setting and preserve a quality surface for playing basketball. We are investing in resurfacing – a pavilion over the court would maintain the surface for years.

Mel Hawley would have some history, Jen Kingsley knows some of the history. Can we post something on FPF asking for recollections?

ROPES course added in 2008. E. Roche can set up a google form to record recollections. Share summary in packet for January meeting

  1. Trail Update 10 min
    1. Update from Tim on presentation to the City Council for the Recreation Trail Vergennes Loop

T. Cook proposed it to city council and got enthusiastic response. Moving forward on the Safe Routes to Parks but C. Macfarlane is concerned about community engagement. Supposed to meet with City Manager to review where outdoor classroom trails go, and the boy scouts might be interested trail maintenance on the trails.

    1. Outdoor classroom trail work update
    2. Possible Safe Routes to Parks grant
  1. Updates on budget and goals (if any) 10 min

Action: Should we ask other 4 towns to contribute to Recreation budget at $1 per capita in exchange for “in town” pool and recreation membership

Move this to top of agenda for January along with ice rink, pavilion.

 

  1. New business 10 min
  2. Adjournment

Adjourned 7:05